Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Green, Green, Green

As with our guest room, when we first moved in, we bought the sectional I had been lusting for (I may have had this couch in mind when we were house hunting and refused to consider a house that didn't have a family room I could put my sectional in). Painted the walls and stuck a picture over the mantle and moved on to more important things. Like removing the carpet in our master bathroom (EEWW!).

Also just like the guest room, I'm just now getting really annoyed by the lack of color and the ugly oak cabinets in our family room. Here are a few pictures of the before.


These are obviously from before we moved in, while we were cleaning the place. Don't mind the vacuum and pile of clothes in the dining room.

Here are a few pictures from only a few weeks ago.





Notice the red pillows left out from Christmas still (whoops!) and the way too formal candlesticks on the mantle. Also don't mind the fact that it was a little too bright outside to be taking pictures. This room is tricky to get a good picture on the fireplace wall with good day lighting.

Also notice one of the first projects we tackled in this house, the fireplace tile. I couldn't wait to get rid of the boring beige builder tile and since we put slate in our bathroom to replace the carpet, continuing the slate seemed like a good option. I love the texture and all the different colors.

This time around, first place I tackled were the accessories on the mantle. I liked the candlesticks and our wedding picture but felt the family room needed a more casual vibe. After all, the sectional was purchased because of it's extreme comfort.

Here's what I came up with.


I think it's safe to say I absolutely love it. The picture of us with our puppy was taken my the same wonderful photographer that did our wedding, Stacy Marie. Check out her website and blog for some of her stunning photographs. I opted to reuse a few of the candlesticks and candles and the tree print is actually a tea towel from Tikoli. Love.

By leaning the pictures on one side and offsetting them with some forced branches, I think I got the casual vibe I was going for. Next to tackle, the brown couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment