Friday, April 23, 2010

Out With The Old

I'm back with another project from our guest room. As you can see in the before pictures, the bed has a dark brown upholstered headboard which was just fine except it was just a piece of Styrofoam covered with batting and fabric screwed to the wall. It looked okay but was really flimsy and screwed to the wall.

When this was our bed, we had a super cheap dark brown headboard I shoved in the closet in this room because it was not attractive, not comfortable to lean against and because it was cheap, it was also kind of flimsy so when you did lean against it, you were pretty much guaranteed to dent the wall.

I'm planning on painting the way too bright teal blue accent wall with the same wall color as the rest of the walls so I wanted to make a new headboard with a blue green fabric to keep some of that color in the room. I ventured down to Joann's and found some ideal upholstery fabric on sale for $6 a yard. It was really a light gray blue so I also picked up a $2 box of kelly green RIT dye along with my two yards of fabric. One washing machine load later, I had the perfect light blue green color fabric. I may have jumped up and down in the laundry room when I took the fabric out of the dryer.

In an effort to remedy the issues I had with the previous headboards, I opted to combine the two. I hot glued the Styrofoam onto the old ugly dark brown, reused the batting and upholstered it with the new fabric. I didn't take pictures because I know there are a thousand other DIY upholstered headboard tutorials out there. Just google it, you won't be disappointed.

I am super pleased with the results. Now I have a comfortable, solid, portable headboard in the perfect blue green color.

While I was filling the holes left from the previous headboard, I also took the time to fasten down the lamp cords and paint them the same color of the wall. I know it is nowhere near hiding them but at least they aren't all twisted and hanging how ever they want and are now the same color as the wall. Eventually I will find a much more attractive lighting solution.

Here is the finished headboard in all it's glory. The guest room is really starting to look better and better everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment